Practically Shooting

Building a 10mm SBR

Pablo

It was such a nice afternoon and I have my business taxes almost done......I said bag it and drove to the range (15-20 minute glorious drive)

My range: http://www.svrifle.org/

The good: It was a nice afternoon!

The OK - good: Put one round in and fired. Almost dead nuts on. Amazing for not even dialing in the sights, all the different parts. The casing looked perfect. Put five in and same thing. Not too shabby. I went through 30 rounds or so then left.

The bad: I had 2-3 misfeeds. Round didn't quite chamber, started then hung up. Seemed like a feed ramp issue. Not sure. Ugg.

That is really neat.

Misfeeds? Hard to say. Adapting mags of a different caliber won't help the troubleshooting I'm sure.

If forced to guess, I might start playing with cartridge OAL.

Nice looking range! It reminds me a lot of my old club that Indiana Univ closed down because they are...never mind. Don't get me started.

Being the low level genius I am, I didn't try other ammo at the range. Going back Thursday or Friday.

I wonder if my cleaning helped. Frankly my brand new Daniel Defense M4V3 AR had rounds and casings stick the first time out. But after running it and cleaning it, and cleaning the chamber super well, never had a problem again.

• 3 weeks later...

Well since the 1st the gun misfed even worse. I returned the upper and the magazine to Ron. At first, just like before he shipped to me, he had no problems. Then he filled the magazine a bit more 15 + and started having issues. He says the magazine follower is the culprit. No specifics yet. He is going to shoot it again on Tuesday. Frustrating!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I think I spoke too soon. I mean it shoots OK, but not perfectly. Lots of niggling little issues to work through.....won't go into them, but make no underestimate a gas impinged pistol caliber gun is not so easy to pull off, even in 10mm. The worst battle I've had is with the bolt itself. The bolt must ultimately be VERY easy moving in the carrier, and is not carbon tolerant in the least. One example is the gun firing fine for four-five magazines, and getting nice and warm. Then allow to cool, now it starts misfeeds and stove piping.

Oh and it is pretty accurate.

Well.....here is the main deal as I stated before, making a DI pistol caliber rifle is a real PITA. Ron (RMW) makes it seem like it's something to be taken granted. I love his work and I bought his products, but my main two gripes are the above type attitude, and his use of fair cheap AR ancillary parts. Let's focus on the just the bolt and bolt carrier. There is no nice way to put it, but the modified bolt was junky out of the gate and the fit in the carrier was crap - in the sense: It probably would be fine with most all full powered rifle rounds, but the sticking and the digging and the hanging up of the bolt was driving me nuts. I fixed it by: using the stock set up with metal polish on the rings and working it by hand (a LOT of hard junk came out metal - chrome and steel), then I replace the rings with a single piece gas ring. Super duper smooth and easy now.

http://www.rmwxtreme.com/#top