Practically Shooting

what gun for wives?

spasm3

My wife is not really into guns, she does not dislike them. I have taught her to shoot and handle my walther p22. I want her to be comfortable enough to keep the gun with her at night when i'm not home. I know that a .22 even loaded with stingers or minimags are not optimal but i'm not sure she will like shooting anything bigger. I guess at least .22 is better than nothing, but what does everyone else have for their wives?

Your wife sounds similar to mine. She doesn't hate guns or anything, but sorta delegates it to me. Probably for the best, since she can't keep up with her cellphone or coffee cup. But I digress.

I have a couple of pump shotguns and pistol caliber lever action rifles around she can use if needed. Anyone who has seen a movie or TV show in the last 50 years can operate either. Yes, the recoil from a shotgun will be rough, but it's not like she has to shoot a couple rounds of trap.

I've thought about a 10/22 with 25 round magazine. That could be handled by my wife or kids. Like you say, it's only a .22, but 25 .22s into the face sucks for anyone.

I probably should equip her with a handgun. Maybe one of the HK P7s. The grip is slim, and once she knew how it operated it would be natural to use. Grip it and you cock it. Release and it decocks.

Sadly IMO, the first thing she has reached for in the past was a snubby revolver. I wholeheartedly disagree with those who suggest snubbies for women. It's the hardest gun to shoot well, so why arm your wife with one? Some argue that it's best for women because it's simple to operate, but I think that's wrong in addition to just plain insulting. A Glock/XD/M&P is at least as simple in operation when loaded, and easier to load and make ready if starting from empty.

The only advantage I see to a snubby is retention in a struggle. It's a little harder to take away because there is less to grab.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
My wife likes her Beretta 92 in 9mm. Still her favorite.

My 14 year old daughter prefers the Glock 19....when she's not shooting an M-4 style AR-15...

Wow thats awesome!

I think that the key point is this: it should be a gun that she regularly shoots and one that she is comfortable with. To me, that means a simple manual of arms: safeties and other complex weapon features will not serve her well should she find herself in need of a firearm. The stress of that situation makes it difficult to remember any manual of arms (safety, racking slides, etc.), so I think simple is best for defensive use.

Power in a cartridge is meaningless if she can't consistently get those rounds on target. 9mm is a good choice, as it's controllable for most folks. I regularly shoot an H&K USP compact in .40S&W...pretty good recoil, but I am most comfortable with that gun because I've put several thousand rounds through it. I've also got a 10mm Glock, even with full power loads (Buffalo Bore JHP) I find it easy to shoot, but I would not place it in the hands of my wife or daughter.

So, good pistol recommendations include the 9mm Glock models, a .357 revolver (6" preferred and loaded with .38 SPL if recoil is a concern), or any other DAO/Striker pistol that she shoots well.

My wife is a bit of an exception. She's military, so she has spent a lot of time at the range with the M9 service pistol. When it came time to get her first gun, she went with what she knew and was comfortable with.

My younger daughter tried out several pistols when she learned to shoot. Glock 17, Glock 19, S&W 5906, and the Beretta 92. She liked the Glock 19 the best of those and she shoots it well.

A word on training: get as much of it as you can afford. Punching holes in paper at XX yards does little to prepare a person for a gunfight. My three kids, for example, got a demo/lecture on function and safety in the house on Day 1. On Day 2, we went to a training range (laser only, computer scored, military facility) and learned the basics of sight alignment, trigger control using the M-16 and M-9 (with some time reserved for silliness with the M-240 and M-2) without the smoke, noise, or recoil of live fire. On Day 3, we went to a range. All that training has enabled them to shoot well.

However, even though they are really good at hitting a target, I would not consider them prepared for an actual defensive encounter with a firearm. Training for that should include:

1. Education on the rule of law on the use of force in her jurisdiction.

2. The basics of weapon operation and malfunction/clearing, e.g. tap & rack drills, reload drills.

3. Extensive practice in reaction/speed shooting. Training to shoot quickly and accurately in response to a command/threat presentation.

4. Judgement shooting, shooting using a scenario training range/simulation that requires determination of threat, identification of innocent/friendly.

Shooting a gun is one thing...but being actually prepared to use it effectively and wisely is quite another...