Practically Shooting

Ruger "New Unannounced Product"

BarryinIN

Very strange announcement from Ruger.

https://www.ruger.com/dataProcess/newProductSweeps/?r=y

In addition to having a "new unannounced product", they have a contest to win one. The odd things are you have only a two day window to enter (Sep 2-4) and they have a bunch of requirements basically saying you have to pick it up the day it's announced (Sep 8 ) and post a picture of you with it by 9pm.

If I read the following right, you have to enter now, and if you get picked Monday morning, somehow you are going to get an FFL sent to them and they get the gun to your gun shop in under 12 hours.

PRIZE CONDITIONS: The potential winners will each be required to complete, sign, and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release (collectively, “Winner Documents”) within twenty-four (24) hours of written notification from the Administrator, or the prize may be forfeited and an alternate winner selected. The potential Grand Prize winner will be required to provide a copy of a valid government-issued driver’s license or identification card with return of the completed Winner Documents. If any information provided in the Winner Documents is incorrect, the winner in question may be disqualified (in Sponsor’s sole discretion). If a prize or prize notification is returned as unclaimed or undeliverable to a potential winner, if a potential winner cannot be reached within one (1) hour of the first notification attempt, if a potential winner fails to return Winner Documents within the specified time period, or if a potential winner is not in compliance with these Official Rules, then such person may be disqualified and an alternate winner may be selected. If the selected Grand Prize winner is disqualified for any reason, the Second Prize winner will receive the Grand Prize (upon further verification) and the Third Prize winner will receive the Second Prize. All taxes, if applicable, are the sole responsibility of the winners. The Grand Prize winner will be required to complete a tax form in which he or she must provide his or her Social Security Number. The Winner Documents and tax form are subject to verification by Sponsor. In addition, as a final condition of accepting the Grand Prize, the Grand Prize winner must take possession of their prize at their local firearms dealer on Monday, September 8, 2014 AND must provide the Sponsor with a photo of themselves with their prize by 9:00 p.m. EDT on the same day of prize pick up.

The Sponsor will ship the Grand Prize to a valid Federal Firearms Licensee in the U.S. selected by the winner. The Grand Prize winner is responsible for providing Sponsor with a copy of the Federal Firearm Licensee’s license to which he or she would like the prize shipped.

By the way, my guess is it's a pump or semiauto shotgun. The same guess I make whenever Ruger has something new coming. Eventually I'll be right.

Somewhere in the rules it gives a retail value of $800-1200, so I doubt it's another polymer framed pistol.

I decided it must be time Ruger got a refresher on what a Scout rifle is, and what it is for.

By the definition of the Scout Rifle Conferences held under the auspices of Jeff Cooper the scout rifle has been defined as a general purpose rifle suitable for taking targets of up to 400 kg (880 pounds) at ranges to the limit of the shooters visibility (nominally 300 meters) that meets the following criteria:

Weight-sighted and slung: 3 kilograms (6.6 lb). This has been set as the ideal weight but the maximum has been stated as being 3.5 kg (7.7 pounds ).

Fail. Unless you use it as-is with the iron sights (and you could) the only way the .308 makes weight is by replacing the stock or heavily Swiss-cheesing it. The .223 is heavier yet at 7.1 lbs and heavier than most ARs. In comparison, the Savage Scout is 6.6 pounds as it comes and the Steyr is 7 lbs even with Leupold 2.5x Scout scope and Ching sling attached.

Length: 1 meter (39 inches)

Ruger makes this one, but they do it by using a barrel at least 3" shorter than either the Savage or Steyr. Losing the flash hider would help, but would still only put it at around 17.5". The Savage is .75" over, but has a 20.5" barrel. The Steyr makes the length target and has a 19" barrel.

Nominal barrel length: .48 meter (19 inches)

Fail

Savage- 20.5", Steyr- 19"

Sighting system: Typically a forward and low mounted (ahead of the action opening) long eye relief telescope of between 2x and 3x. Reserve iron sights desirable but not necessary. Iron sights of the ghost ring type, without a scope, also qualify, as does a low powered conventional position scope.

Notice the forward mounted scope is not a requirement. The Rugers have nice iron sights, and can mount a Scout scope, but cannot take a conventional scope without removing the rear sight. While technically passing this section, I think the ability to take a conventional scope is useful (and almost mandatory for me).

Action: Magazine fed bolt action. Detachable box magazine and/or stripper clip charging is desirable but not necessary.

I'm calling this a Fail because Ruger would have been better off without the detachable box mag. The magazine shows they don't really get it.

Sling: Fast loop-up type, i.e. Ching or CW style.

Fail. No provision to mount a Ching sling (third swivel stud).

Caliber: Nominally .308 Winchester (7.62 x 51 mm). Calibers such as 7 mm - 08 Remington (7 x 51 mm) or .243 Winchester (6 x 51 mm) being considered for frail individuals or where "military" calibers are proscribed.

The .308 version: Pass.

The .223 version: Fail. Plus it underscores that Ruger really doesn't get it. In addition, a new caliber does not make it a "new product" due the hype they gave it.

Built-in bipod: Desirable but not mandatory.

Not included but not Mandatory.

Accuracy: Should be capable of shooting into 2 minutes of angle or less (4") at 200 yards/meters (3 shot groups).

Depends on the individual rifle, but probably Pass.

Ruger made a rifle that meets the length figure, shoots a general purpose caliber in some versions, has good iron sights and can take a forward mounted scope, and should meet the accuracy mark.

It is not as light and handy as it could have been, and the .223 is by no means a general purpose hunting cartridge.