Practically Shooting

Rings/base replacement

OVERKILL

So the other day I was handling my .308 and discovered that the scope mount bases (both pads) had come loose! Now, this gun has had a lot of rounds through it but still, I don't recall it being loose the last time I shot it?

Anyway, I've never been happy with the setup that came on the rifle (it was a package with the scope, rings, rails, rifle) in terms of the mounting gear for the scope. It is a beautiful scope (Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50) and the same family of scope on my .223 seems to be much better mounted.

I was originally looking to do a Picitanny setup with Leupold base and rings but the local shop didn't have them unfortunately so I ended up getting a Weaver rail (made in the USA!) and some Burris rings.

I installed the screws using some loctite blue for the base, two of the screws ended up being a bit long for my taste (the one nearest where the barrel threads in was too long and was bottoming-out on the barrel threads) and so I reused the slightly shorter screws from the previous mount there. The enclosed screws worked fine in the rear holes.

Here's the final setup:

(Yes, I did the work on the stove, LOL!) I think it looks OK. Eye position feels OK at first try, though I will note that these mounts are a bit shorter than the ones they replaced, I'm hoping that doesn't end up being an issue.

I've started to change over to Picatinny rails whenever I can. They give a nice shoulder for rings to bear against under recoil, there are countless ring options, and the rails offer all those ring positions.

I expect the Redfield/Leupold base design that is pretty much the standard now will be uncommon to see ten years from now.