Practically Shooting

My new sks, looking for a few ideas

cb_13

So a friend of mine called me and said his dad had an sks he was looking to sell extremely cheap but that it was in rough shape. He gave me a price, I told him I will take it sight unseen as long as the action will open. I go pick it up expecting a rusted up Norinco. Turns out it's a rearsenaled Russian with no real noticable rust just a peeling finish on the wood stock. I bought it planning on making it into a tacticool plinker but after having shot this thing I really like it and would consider it accurate enough to use as a back up hunting rifle.

So now my ideas have changed. I would like to find a blade type bayonet and refinish the stock to try and match the original color as close as I can. I can always take the bayonet off if I do plan on taking the rifle on a hunt. It will be strictly for looks. I do not want to sand on the stock as I would like to leave all the markings on it. I know this gun is not really a collectible. I just like the looks of the original Russians. Any experience, suggestions, comments? All are welcome except telling me to buy an AR! lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tacticool is for fools. The SKS is a great rifle,I wish I bought a dozen back in the 1990s when they were selling for $69.00 to $99.00. I would just leave it as is and shoot it. No need to toy with the rifle if it runs.

That's about the price range I got this one for. That's why I was expecting to replace the stock but it's not nearly as rough as he said it was. I'm gonna just shoot it for now. I have ended up with way too many projects for this summer.

• 4 months later...

A little late on reply.....friend and I picked up 2 SKS letter guns laminated stocks 1955/56 tula refurbs. one blued one bbq black painted barrel... in boxes,slings,ammo pouches and oilers $179.00 Canadian....from local big box sporting goods store. great cheap shooters....will buy a couple more when next shipment comes in......costs more to gas up my truck and have lunch at burger king!!!!!!