Practically Shooting

Turkish Mauser

Astro14

While in Florida past week (vacation) I came across a Turkish Mauser rifle. 8mm chambering, a bit of pitting in the bore, rifling looked sharp, and bore looked straight. Action was very smooth. Stock is beat up but complete and original, and I would call this one in fair condition. I bought it ($100, a memento of a very enjoyable trip). I realize it probably has limited collectible value - I just thought it was neat. I intend to take it to the range once in a while (I will choose loads on the lighter side in deference to its age). and otherwise, simply give it a good home.

So, before it arrives (I had it shipped), what do I need to know about these?

Generally assembled from German Mauser 98 parts prior to the late 1930's. Most of the models I've seen were from the late 1930's into the 1950's. Some gun's marked with a "K" by the numbers had their parts made in Turkey at a Turkey arsenal. Other than that I can't help you out much. If the bore is not all shot out you should be able to get decent groups. If the bolt is smooth then you are lucky. Check the parts including stock to see how many numbers match.

xtell

• 2 weeks later...

Local gunsmith checked it out, headspaces correctly for 8mm Mauser, bore looks good (he was surprised). From what I can tell, it was reworked in Ankara (arsenal) in 1935 but the parts all look like they're older. Front sight is frozen, so windage may be an issue when I take it to the range, but I am looking forward to shooting it...at least a few times...

Finally found some Russian surplus ammo after trips to 4 stores and took the Mauser out yesterday. Worked just great! My aging eyes are, once again, the limiting factor with iron sights and yes, if I want reasonable hits, I will have to replace the front sight. It hits 2" left at 50 yards, but he groups were reasonably tight and by holding just a bit right, was able to hit the bull a few times.

From the looks of it, it's led a hard life. Well from now on, it will lead an easy life of being kept clean, resting in a safe, and being taken out once in a while to the range. A good retirement for an old soldier...