Practically Shooting

How clean is "clean enough"?

Tom

With the caveat that everybody who ever owned a gun seems to have a different theory on cleaning, I'd say a little discoloration on the patch is OK.

My feeling is there is a point of no return in cleaning, where the effort to get a little more out can cause more risk of things like the cleaning rod dragging along the throat, the patch "blossoming" at the muzzle and causing wear there, etc.

With the caveat that everybody who ever owned a gun seems to have a different theory on cleaning, I'd say a little discoloration on the patch is OK.

My feeling is there is a point of no return in cleaning, where the effort to get a little more out can cause more risk of things like the cleaning rod dragging along the throat, the patch "blossoming" at the muzzle and causing wear there, etc.

I agree. More weapons are worn out from over cleaning (esp .22LR IMO) than shooting.

I clean a weapon after firing with q-tips and cloths and a little cleaner after every outing. Then I clean/wipe the finish off with a rag, then use a silicone cloth (if blued) and put it back in a sock.

When I clean the bore, I try to get from the chamber end if possible with a brush, then a few patches till they come out semi clean then a lightly oiled patch and call it a day.

Place a little oil/grease where needed depending on the weapon.

Works for me for decades. cheers2

Take care, Bill