Practically Shooting

Some advice from the experts for a beginner?

crinkles

Hi Guys,

Just itching to grab a CZ455 luxe in 22 LR, which comes with open sights, but at some stage would like to fit a scope for some more precise and accurate shooting.

Not specifically about brands here, but rather

(1) which power would be good for up to say 100 yards. Should it be fixed power for a starter or variable magnification?

(2) which reticle would be best? I am leaning towards a mildot type which I can use to do the math so to speak for longer shots.

Any other advice for a novice would be appreciated.

First is the obligatory "depends on what you are going to use it for". I agree there is a lot of truth to that. I'd pick a different scope and reticle for benchrest competition than for hunting raccoons at night. However, I think the plain old Duplex would work for most things.

With the .22 I shoot most, I have a Duplex. I zero at 50, so out to 50 yards, I hold dead on the crosshair intersection. At 75, I hold up so the target is between there and the point of the bolder part of the crosshairs. At 100, I hold at that point where the bolder section starts. That covers about any .22 shooting I'll do.

I'm sure with a MilDot reticle you could learn which dot corresponds with what range, but they may be too far apart and you would still have to hold between points like I do at 75.

They would help with estimate range based on size of a target, but I'm not sure how necessary that is with a .22.

I am curious about the new 2-7X rimfire scope from Redfield. It comes with an elevation knob marked for the trajectory of .22 LR 36 grain HP ammo. It has a blank knob also, that you can mark. Good thing, because I have doubts the trajectory marks will be just right for all ammo and rifles.

The negative I see is that you have to have time to adjust the knob. If you are time limited on the shot, you might not get that adjustment made.

I'd rather see some sort of hash marks in the reticle than a marked elevation knob. Vortex has a 2-7X Rimfire scope that I haven't actually liked at yet, but have heard some say it has such a reticle and others say it doesn't.

As to how much magnification, I guess that depends too. I have a 4X on the .22 I use most, but I have been considering a 2-7X or 3-9X. The 4X handles 90% of my needs, but I'd like more for that other 10%. I still think 4X is plenty for most rimfire needs, and my second and third most used .22s will keep their red dot and 1.5-5X respectively.

I don't think a variable will complicate things too much for an inexperienced shooter. My guess is you will find it stays set around the middle of the magnification range and occasionally turned up to max.

Thanks for your advice. Looks like a 2x -7x should suffice.

Mostly for a while I will be shooting targets during the day. The range has night shoots some Tuesday nights which I may take up later. Once my rifle skills are Ok i might try a bunny hunt here and there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the CZ club. I shoot 452's and like then a lot. Mostly CMP three position shooting. Consider a scope with an adjustable objective and fine crosshairs. Check out the Clearidge brand of scopes (duplex - mil dot - fine croshair). They have been catching on in the rimfire shooting matches.

• 9 months later...

I thought I'd update you guys since I haven't been here for a while.

I ended up getting a Marlin XT-22 with a scope package, fixed 4x power. I've only been able to take it to the range once or twice unfortunately. I don't get out nearly as much as I'd like. It shot fine, wasn't being to technical about it, so not much to report. I got it for $350 (being Australia, probably not comparable to the US market). It has a nice enough laminated timber stock. Quite happy with it.

As for CZ my current plans are to save for a centrefire rifle - in a 223 - I may look at CZ527 or Anschutz 1770. The latter I have heard good things about. However it seems you can't shoot milsurp/NATO ammo, just the SAAMI stuff.

• 3 weeks later...