Practically Shooting

Varget in Stock

I don't know. Things are starting to show up now, though.

When I got the tracking number email for that 4895 order yesterday, I couldn't think what it was. There were a few possibilities, but it had been so long.

I've now found Varget, IMR 4895, and IMR 4064 in the past couple of weeks- first time in months. I got some 8208XBR to try (first time) also.

In .30 caliber, match bullets started showing up about a month ago after a long absence. The 168s are a little thin though. I've only seen FMJ blasting bullets at one place, but they were over a dollar per hundred more than Sierra 150 soft points.

If anyone is interested, Graf and Sons has some "major maker" .30 cal match bullets that are "seconds" but seem to only have a less bright polish to them. They are almost certainly Sierra Match Kings judging from the bc and sd figures they list and the fact they look identical side by side. They have 155, 168, and 175 grains, and they cost about what hunting bullets cost.

The .224 bullets had a big gap. I could find 40 grain Hornet bullets or 80+ grain VLDs. Then the Hornet bullets vanished. Now I see more, but far from all. There are 53 grains and under, and 77 and heavier. Still a gap between 53 and 77, but it's smaller than it was.

I've got In-Stock emails from various places for bullets, but they were always out within minutes. They're finally starting to last hours or even days.

Primers are still a big zero. Luckily for me, I was pretty good there.

There has been some new primed LC .308 brass around. Anyone needing large rifle primers for .308 might take a look because the primed brass might be cheaper than gouger primer prices.

I have been able to get plenty of powder, even 8lb jugs of all the stuff I use. Bullets have been hit or miss and primers are non existent still. Brass is about like bullets, if you get there when it comes in you are golden but luckily I have plenty of brass and primers, it's the projectiles I keep running out of.

Powder seems to be a regional thing. I've read online several people saying they've had no trouble getting what they wanted from their local shops. Mine has kept quite a bit of powder, but it's powders few people use, like really slow stuff for loading 7mmSTW and .50BMG. There hasn't been any medium rifle powders (4895/Varget/Tac/etc) locally or online in months. The less commonly used ones like RL15 or N135 stuck around a while longer but it has been gone for a while.

Then again, my local shop had primers after most places had dried up.

Brass I haven't really looked for.

Bullets lasted quite a while before running out locally. I guess lack of powder or primers slowed their sales.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think Varget is going away.

It's manufactured by Thales in Australia (Used to be Australian Defence Industries before it was privatised), and is their AR2208 powder, which is their most popular range powder.

Thales are also producing now a range of sporting ammunition

http://www.thalesgroup.com/Press_Release...rting_shooters/

and that's probably going to swallow some Varget until it gets onto the shelves.

• 2 months later...