Practically Shooting

Illinois FINALLY gets concealed carry!

wwillson

It finally happened 5/31/2013. It never would have happened this year without the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel in Chicago affirming a constitutional right to have ready-to-use firearms for self-defense outside the home.

Full bill here

The new law is a Shall-Issue, with a twist that a law enforcement agency can deny the permit based on someone being a known bad actor, but the individual has a right to appeal to a state concealed carry board. It required 16 hrs of training from a Illinois certified instructor and will have a fee of $150/5yrs. Concealed carry in IL will also preempt home-rule, which is a very good thing.

It's about time. We'll see how this all plays out soon.

Wayne

Did they ever do everything they were supposed to do? By that, I mean I was hearing that whoever was to write the detailed final version of the licensing procedure was dragging their feet so that while it was technically legal, they wouldn't have a process in place.

That sounded typical, so I don't really give it much chance of actually happening.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It is my understanding that the bill has a provision that preempts any local ord; means Chicago cannot pull thier typical BS.

Congrats! Those of us who have had CCW forever welcome you to the world of personal defense outside the home.

Now - if you all can get suppressors and SMGs, you'll be equal with us Hoosiers ...

• 2 months later...