Practically Shooting

Sit, down, STAY

wwillson

I lifted this from an email I got today.

Today I swung my front door wide open and placed my Stevens

320(a shotgun) right in the doorway. I gave it 5 shells and left it alone and went about my business. While I was gone, the mailman delivered my mail, the trash man picked up the trash, a girl walked her dog down the street, and quite a few of my neighbors drove past the house.

After about an hour, I checked on the gun.

It was still sitting there, right where I had left it. It hadn't killed anyone, even with the numerous opportunities it had been presented with to do so. In fact, it hadn't even loaded itself.

Well you can imagine my surprise, with all the media hype about how dangerous guns are and how they kill people. Either the media is wrong, and it is the misuse of guns by PEOPLE that kills people, or I'm in possession of the laziest gun in the

world.

Alright, well I’m off to check on

my spoons. I hear they’re making people fat.

Five? What do you need all those shells for? What kind of hunter needs five rounds to kill a deer? You only need to put two rounds through the door when someone is trying to get in. You only need to fire two shots off the balcony at noises in the night.

Should I go on?

Yesterday I heard two "Constitutional scholars" saying the second amendment doesn't specify we can have 20 round "clips". I didn't realize the Constitution was strictly inclusional. If it was, we could only use printing presses for news and there would be no radio, TV, Internet, or social media. What does that hurt? Ask the people who lost their shirts after the White House Twitter feed was hacked Monday and the stock market tanked. Ask Richard Jewell, the security guard at the Atlanta Olympics who the TV news accused of setting the bomb when he actually rushed into the scene to rescue people on minimum wage. It got corrected, but it was too late, and he was ruined for life.

With rights come responsibilities. It all comes down to that. Every citizen starts with the right; whether they keep it is up to them.

Back in the Oz 1996 Gun "debate", I did similar with a journalist friend.

I only had at the time, the .22 that I was given for 15th birthday present, loaded, and centered on the table...it didn't do anything for the whole 5 or so hours that it sat there.

"Would you leave it like that with children in the house ?"

Whole different argument there, and nothing to do with guns.