Practically Shooting

Gun buy back programs

wwillson

Back in 1996 in the Oz buyback, I was working with a Lebanese muslim character. His community were amazed at the people who were turning in firearms because the Govt directed them to.

His take was that they had no records up to that point, and therefore nowhere to aim suspicion...

His community got all that they could get their hands on, and then researched how to protect and hide them...

A few years ago they tried it here in Provo and they were giving $50 (rifle) and $100 (evil handguns) in gift cards at the grocery store.

So quite a few gun buyers went there. Left and right they were buying weapons for $60 and $120. It was great! The police in one end of the lot (it was at a public park and they could not make us leave) and the "gun nuts" in the other end. Media between us. I scored a VERY nice Ruger P90 for $125 and a Ruger 10/22 for $75. Even had the police run them to make sure they were not hot (since they could not do anything stopping us buying they decided to see if they could catch any thing that was "missing")

The one thing is *IF* the weapon came up hot then questions would be asked by the police where as if you took them in for the gift cards no questions asked.

I watched one guy get a 4 inch Colt Python for $120! It was in great condition but the owner wanted to be rid of the terrible item left to him...

Both parties were happy...

Lesson learned? The city has not had another one since that one. grin