Practically Shooting

barlowc - introducing myself

barlowc

Hi guys! I'm another BITOG member that came over here. I have the same username on both sites.

I'm new to firearms and shooting. I recently purchased my first, a new Ruger Mark III Target in Stainless Steel.

As I had written in a thread in BITOG's Firearms forum, I was finally able to go to the local range yesterday and put about 200 rounds of Remington Golden Bullets through it.

I shot most of the rounds while the target was at a distance of 20 feet, which the range operator said would be a good distance to start with. I also shot 4 clips at 30 feet. Overall, I was able to fire rounds in relatively close groupings. Getting them tighter will be the skills I’ll be working to develop over time.

It was a lot of fun, and not as intimidating as I expected. I'm certainly looking forward to my next trip to the range. Let me know what tips you have for learning good technique and making the most out of my range time.

Welcome to our forums!

I have exactly the same pistol, but in the Mark II version. I bought it about 20 years ago and have put a huge amount of ammo through it. I'd guess 100,000 rounds, I don't know for sure, but it's a LOT. I've never replaced a single part in all that time.

Congrats on your purchase of a fantastic and fun pistol!

Wayne

Welcome, barlowc!

You could not have done better for a first gun. I shot a ton of ammo through a pair of MKIIs when I worked in Chicago. I worked 8:30pm to 4:30am, and since I belonged to a club with an indoor range and 24-hr access I went there a lot, especially in the winter.

Funny thing. I've had at least four Ruger .22 autos but never had the model I always wanted most- a 5.5" stainless like yours. I wanted that before they even made them in stainless, so much I wanted to get a blued one and have it plated. They've been as close as the nearest gun shop for 30 years and I haven't done anything about it.

Nice first choice!! I have the blue/black version in 22/45.

Good shooting and good on you for not being so proud as to ask for assistance. I still remember my first time shooting a hand gun, I wasn't going to let anyone know, etc....although I read a lot and had shot rifles and shotguns for years, and followed all the safety rules - still my pride slowed my learning process and could have cause some bad habits.

Learn a firm grip and freefloating trigger finger. Get a Prohands Gripmaster finger exerciser. Use your full hand on the unit, then use all your fingers except your trigger finger.