Practically Shooting

Vulture Shopping Tip

BarryinIN

In 2008 when the panic gun/ammo/reloading buying was underway, I had just lucked into having a little spending money for a change. I cruised Gunbroker with my all-time dream list handy, and picked up a few really nice guns at good prices. Nothing evil and black, but nice old sporting rifles like the Savage 99. I know- not guess- I know some of the guns I bought were being sold to fund an AR or something like it. For once, my timing was good.

I hate to be a vulture, or encourage it, but the same thing could be happening again right now. If anyone is going to gain from it, it should be me or my friends. And I don't have the cash right now.

I know money is tight for everyone, but if any of you have been wanting a certain gun for a long time, you might look. It might be within reach after all.

Local gun shop had two black rifles left Friday. He had twenty or more on the racks with duplicates in the back a week before. Parking lot was full all week when i drove by.

I have not looked myself, but have heard of some silly bids on Gunbroker.

On the other hand, the Steyr distributor I got my AUG from says it is business as usual.

• 4 weeks later...

I was in the local shop today, the first time in a while. The stock of black rifles was back up to usual. Primers too.

There were maybe 16-18 ARs, mostly CMMG for some reason (most 5.56, 2-9mm, 1-.300Blk) but some others including a Colt or two. A SCAR and an LMT .308 was there too. Perhaps the panic has past?

P.S. they had the first Browning 1911-22 that made it into the case. $539.

• 1 month later...

Panic update:

There is a big gun show (three days, 1500 tables) here next weekend. I'm not sure what they're going to sell, because it sounds like shops are cleaned out. Beef jerky and turquoise jewelry like most shows, I guess.

I had a phone conversation with the biggest AUG distributor/dealer in the US this afternoon.

Steyr has 200 AUGs going out to dealers soon. Two hundred. There are about 15 Steyr distributors in the US, so that makes a dozen or so for each one. He alone has 600 back orders.

Steyr had a prototype rail system they were showing at trade shows a few years ago. He bought these prototype guns from Steyr after they dropped the project. He listed two on Gunbroker and got over $11k total for them.

On AUG magazines, he still has some, but has a minimum order of five. People laugh when they hear that. Minimum?!?!Give me all that will fit on my credit card, they say.