Practically Shooting

CFE 223 and Superformance

RLH70

No, but I'm curious about both. One of the range regulars likes CFE223 but I don't recall any comments as to why that I can share.

When Midsouth Shooters Supply had their no hazmat sale recently, I wished later I had got a couple 1-lb cans of some powders I don't normally use like that to try.

• 1 month later...

I have actually tried both powders. The CFE 223 was used in a HB AR15 varminter with Berger 22cal 52gr FB pills, new Winchester commerical brass with Remington primers. 1/2" groups and good velocity with a low SD. I just loaded a couple of hundred of that load for a future squirrel shoot. I really can't say anything about the lack of copper fouling. I didn't really notice any difference from my other loads.

The Superformance powder was used in my Remington 700 .300 WSM. Norma cases, 150gr Nosler Accubonds and Federal 210M primers were used with this powder. If I recall, I was able to get 3250FPS with so-so accuracy. I went back to Reloader 17 wich gave me better results in that rifle.

Yes,this particular AR shoots really well with both the Sierra and Berger 52-53gr match bullets. 1/2 to 3/4 is the norm. The thing that surprised me was how it shot my 69gr Sierra load that I use for an older Colt top handle H-Bar upper with a 1/7" twist.The point of impact was much different, but the accuracy was outstanding despite the slower 1/10" twist. I was scratching head after that. The only explanation I could come up with is the 24" barrel of the Varminter along with the slower burning Varget powder yields enough velocity to stabilize the Sierra 69gr bullet.