Practically Shooting

Savage Bolt Action .22?

Tom

I'm kicking around the idea of getting a Savage Mark II, probably a BV or FV. Anyone have experience with the Mark II?

When stuff settles down around here I'm thinking about shooting silhouette with it. Until then it's just a fun gun.

I've got the cheap (it was $97 at Wal-Mart) Savage 22LR bolt with syn stock topped with a Bushnell 3x9 $40 scope and LOVE it. It does not have the new accu-trigger but I love it and as accurate out to 150 yards if I use pretty well anything rem bulk.

With Fed bulk I can do @ 100 yards off a bag within 1 inch with ease. If I run CCI then it tightens up a little bit.

Getting mags for it was a chore but I've got my 5 for I'm happy. Savage makes a great weapon.

The Marlin 981T are also a great Bolt action for under $200.

Be safe!

Bill

I have a MkII Savage and love it.

I sent it off to have the bbl threaded for use with a suppressor; very impressive.

Mine does not have the Accutrigger, and it's not too bad. I very much like the rifle and would recommend it for the price. I got mine at Dick's Sporting Goods and it came with a scope for a very fair price of $171 out the door with tax included. The walnut stock is one of the nicest and cleanest pieces of furniture I've ever had, and this is on a mid-grade .22lr. I kind of wish I had a synthetic stock for it, because the stock is so very nice I had to think I might get a blemish on it.

The accuracy of my MkII is excellent, and the action is as smooth as I could expect it to be. The mags feed very well; it comes with one and I bought an extra at a gun show. Being a bolt action, I only wanted two mags. I know Bill has more; perhaps he could comment on the quality of the mags over a larger sample. For what I paid, I could not have been more pleased.

Another option would be the high end Savage with the Accutrigger, and also with a factory threaded bbl if you want that.

Here is my thread for the one I bought.

http://www.practicallyshooting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1832&page=1

I put a Mark II FVXT in jail at Dick's today. It has a fluted blued barrel, accu-trigger, Weaver scope mounts, green plastic stock, and a no-name scope. I can pick it up in 10 days.

They display their rifles without scopes, so while we were looking it over I noticed the scope has the wrong rings. Savage is packing a scope with rings for a 3/8" dovetail but the rifle has weaver mounts. The manager had me pick the correct rings off the shelf so I got a nice set of Weaver steel rings for free/upgrade.

• 1 month later...

Bill in Utah,

How is the trigger pull weight on your Savage .22 and does it have some creep to it? Also, how smooth is the action after the break in period? I've been thinking about getting a Savage but I do not know anyone that has one that I could shoot. Any other info on the gun that might be helpfull would be appreciated.

Thanks,

xtell

Bill in Utah,

How is the trigger pull weight on your Savage .22 and does it have some creep to it? Also, how smooth is the action after the break in period? I've been thinking about getting a Savage but I do not know anyone that has one that I could shoot. Any other info on the gun that might be helpfull would be appreciated.

Thanks,

xtell

Its good.

I don't have a trigger gauge so I can't tell you exactly what it breaks at but I'd say prob around 4-5lbs. No creep and little take up.

Took about 500 rounds I'd say to clean up and have the full stroke of the trigger to be smooth throughout.

The mags are hard to find (for me) so when you can get them get a few. Other than that I really like the gun. Bolt works well, stock is well done (got the plastic one which is fine for me) and I'd call it very accurate with pretty well any ammo I've put through it.

I'd recommend it without question for the value alone!

Take care, bill