Practically Shooting

Because It Was There (Colt LE6920)

I am seeing they aren't exactly fast. It's been 24 hours since I sent the online appraisal in. Maybe they are laughing too hard to respond.

I just heard from them.

I'll be trading.

If I thought I could have gotten to the PO before they closed today, I would have.

• 2 weeks later...

New scope is here. Here is the deal:

In short, I think they trade fair.

I have had my eye on SWFA's SS 10x42 scope for a while. It's price sounds too good to be true, but it gets high ratings all over the place. A friend had one and I liked it.

I was looking around their website and saw they had some on their Sample List (Demo and trade-in scopes) for $259.99. Not much less than normal, but still some.

They take trades. You fill out an online form, send it in with pictures, and wait.

Since the Nikon M-223 was probably not going to get used, I sent it's data in. And waited.

They made me a better offer than I expected.

With what I paid for the first Nikon, the upgrade to the second Nikon, trading that one in and paying the difference plus shipping, I am into this SS scope for $220.

It will look nice when I hit it with spray paint.

It's going on the Savage .308 when I get some 30mm rings.

I've never traded a scope online before. I'm happy with SWFA.

If you are curious, their rating system on used scopes is generous. It favors the buyer if the two examples I know about are any indication.

My Nikon had never been close to a rifle, or mount, or rings, and had only been out of the box the verify it was in there to begin with. I took the lens caps off, looked through it, and put it back. It is listed on their site now as "Demo B" grade (Shows some wear from use). Trust me, there is no wear from use. The buyer will get a new scope.

The SS scope I got was listed as "Demo C" (Shows obvious wear from use). I didn't care what the outside looked like because I knew it would probably see paint. At best, it would get ring marks soon. I forgot about that today, and took it back out in the sunlight a second time to look for wear. I found it, but had to look for it. There is a small spot that looks like ring wear. It's more of a buffed spot than wear. That's the "obvious wear from use". I would have rated it B grade.