Practically Shooting

Change in velocity/pattern in reloaded hulls?

wwillson

I've been know to reload my shotgun hulls until they just can't be reloaded any more. I get teased at the club for having the dirtiest hulls of anyone there, but that doesn't deter me :-). One of our members chided me for reloading so many times, because he says that the crimp will weaken over time, which will decrease the chamber pressure. He claims that this decrease in chamber pressure will decrease the velocity, which in turn will decrease the energy and breaking power of the shot.

Has anyone ever seen any evidence that points to his claim?

Wayne

I wouldn't worry about it. I would think that wad pressure and powder charge has much more to with actual chamber pressure than the crimp. You should see some of my early 28ga Winchester HS hulls. I tried to use Universal Clays in that hull with little success. Changed to Longshot and problems went away. With that said, the ugliest crimps that had to be left in the box to keep the shot from falling out broke the targets just fine.