Practically Shooting

Help me find a S&W 1006

Pablo

If I see one, I'll buy it. I mean, I'll let you know. After I buy it. I mean...

I haven't seen a 1006 in a while. I rarely go to gun shows anymore though. They only made them four years and stopped almost twenty years ago (hard to believe) so I guess they would get a little scarcer every year.

BTW, I don't know if I mentioned it before, but you should take a look at this book if you haven't already. It's got a lot of 10mm history in it, which I guess was stating the obvious, since that is a huge part of the Bren Ten story. Some nice interviews with Jeff Cooper on the cartridge (and gun) and others that worked on 10mm forefathers like the Centimeter.

And it's on clearance for 15 bucks now.

http://www.bren-ten.com/website/id85.html

• 2 weeks later...

I'll need to go through all the going and getting a money order, having the FFL fax the info, paying for shipping and full sales tax and FFL fees - then all the headache and waiting while it ships (I've yet to have a GB seller ship right away after getting the money). Give it a good 2-3 weeks.

I always found it easier than I expected. But I'm comparing it to days before internet and everything as was done by mail or maybe, if lucky, by phone.

How many other 1006s (or whatever) have you seen outside of Gunbroker/Gunsamerica/etc? That's what I'd end up thinking when going through the process. I'd always try to remember it beat going to five years of gun shows to maybe see one. When I did start feeling like it was a pain, I'd just remind myself that if not for Gunbroker, I'd still be looking for that gun and my next chance to look would be the next gun show- whenever that might be. I might find twenty on Gunbroker by then, pick one, win the auction, and have it.

Almost everything I bought off there was something I had been hitting gun shows for. And they weren't that uncommon. I guess what I'm saying is- while it might take a little bit to get it to me, it was still a lot faster than hitting the shops and shows.

But yeah, when I win it, I want it! Now!

My usual post-win thing was to go to the shop and pick up an FFL copy, go to the bank or PO and get the MO or CC, stick them in the envelope I had ready, send it, then email them I sent it. I'd usually get the gun right at two weeks from the day I sent that. I can only remember once I did not, and it was when the money and FFL got separated in their office and they didn't know where to send it.

What I had trouble with - a LOT- was the seller not identifying the gun when they sent it. They would send the gun to the gun shop address on the FFL with nothing saying who it was for.

This really drove me crazy.

Most of my buying was done during the panic of 2008-09 (people were selling off neat old guns they had inherited to get an AR). The gun shop was hammered. They couldn't handle their own work, so were way too busy to remember who had a gun coming in. They had orders backed up for months coming and going, guns going out for repair, and a shop packed full of people all the time. When I'd get the FFL and tell the guy who works three days a week I had an 1888 Brownchester Remlin coming in, I didn't expect him to remember that until lunchtime. If the gun came two weeks later with 80 others, on the day that guy was off, nobody would know who it was for. Even if the same guy was there and saw it, he had to remember one ten second conversation with me from two weeks before out of all the others he has had since. The gun got stuck in a corner until claimed. Not much else they could do.

Why people would stick an expensive gun in a box without so much as a note or even a piece of masking tape with the buyer's name is beyond me.

Hmmm, most of the time, when I'd send the FFL and payment I'd send an email saying I left it with the PO at such and such time, and then I'd get a reply thanking me and telling me they would get it sent when the money arrived. Nothing I didn't know, but that early exchange usually turned out to be a good indicator of how things would go. If I heard back quickly, I'd get the gun soon. If not, well, those were the couple of times when things went a little rougher.

There is/was a 10mm Magnum, but S&W didn't sell any, so his statement "...manufactured in the 10mm Magnum..." is incorrect. It may very well be unintentional, since I have heard other people refer to the 10mm as "10mm Magnum". Starline sells 10mm and 10mm Magnum brass, and people have tried to help by saying that while they were out of 10mm brass they could get 10mm Magnum, as if they were the same.

I suppose someone could have had a 1006 rechambered to 10mm Mag, but I don't think the 10mm Mag would fit in the 1006 magazine.

The only 10mm Magnums I know of are the AMTs (Automag IV maybe? no real similarity to the original AutoMags) and maybe some Contender barrels from the custom shop. Somewhere in my memory, I think I saw a production figure of around 200 AMT 10mm Mags, but don't take that to the bank because if I saw that at all it was when poking around on an AMT/Automag board for something else.

A 10mm Mag Contender barrel might be neat.

• 2 weeks later...

FINALLY - picked up my 1006 yesterday. The exterior is a little more beat than I anticipated, but the guts and the barrel don't look all that used. Almost like it sat in a junk drawer for years and years. Stripped it down (this guys must have been an oil nut....oil EVERYWHERE). I will clean it up nicely and give it a go in the next two weeks.

Now that you mention it, although it's been a while since I've seen a 1006 for sale, I remember they have shown wear or scars. They don't just sit in boxes it seems.

Maybe it's a 10mm thing. When I was keeping my eyes open for a used Delta Elite after they stopped making them and until they came back, the ones I saw were either like new or really used. If they were shot or carried, they were shot or carried a lot.

I just put the gun through a 3 day cleaning cycle. Detail cleaning I guess you could call it. I even soaked and scrubbed the grip. This gun is pretty sophisticated for the day - which means lots of nooks and crannies. But I soaked and scrubbed in various cleaners and I could see grime coming out. I used a lot of Ballistol, Hoppes, various appropriate solvents, spray lubes, a variety of scrubbers, swabs and orange sticks.

The barrel itself is quite clean. It looks like someone de-leaded it manually doing the screen patch method. Regardless no copper or lead build up now.

I must say that it improved the appearance greatly. The stainless steel still has some mars and such, but no deep scratches to start with. The grime missing from the cracks makes an amazing difference - it screams: Been treated well, just well used - vs. nobody ever gave a fruit about this gun. Why someone wouldn't do this cleaning to sell the thing is interesting to say the least.

What a sweet shooter this gun is!

It's actually most pleasurable to shoot the hottest 10mm loads with the 1006. I put it through the paces today. Didn't have any issues. Tracked a little low first couple shots getting used to the sights, but after that, the hotter the ammo the better I shot the thing. I think I was overpraising the Glock 20 as a good 10mm, but something about this heavy beast just makes it pure joy.